FCC’s Food Angels in Naples Park
Food Angels Programs include Friday SnackPacks and Saturday Food Pantry
Friday SnackPacks facts:
- 393 students at Naples Park Elementary receive free/reduced lunches
- We provide Friday SnackPacks to the neediest 50 of these children
- $2.62 average cost per child, per week
- $131/week serves 50 kids
Here’s how you can help:
- Make a donation to help with these ongoing expenses. Note “Food Angels” in memo line
- Help pack SnackPacks after church on Sundays
- Deliver completed SnackPacks to the school on Friday mornings
Saturday Food Pantry facts:
- Food insecure means, “unable to consistently access enough nutritious food necessary for a healthy life”
- In Collier County, 15.7% of the population is food insecure. That’s 49,850 people.
- The majority of these are households with at least one working adult
Here’s how you can help:
- Donate canned and dry goods like rice and beans
- Attend Food Angels Team meetings the second Sunday of each month, 11:30am at Etudes
- Consider signing up for one of the distribution dates, or to help pick food up from Harry Chapin, or one of the other activities that make this vital outreach possible
Here are some area agencies we support, along with some information about them, and how you can help.
“Our mission is to overcome hunger in Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry and Lee counties through education and by working in a cooperative effort with affiliated agencies in the procurement and distribution of food, equitably and without discrimination.
The Harry Chapin Food Bank of Southwest Florida was opened in 1983. Formerly known as the Lee County Food Cooperative, the Harry Chapin Food Bank has served as the only food bank in Southwest Florida.
We’ve partnered with 150+ agencies that provide direct services to those in need, including church food pantries, soup kitchens, emergency shelters, disaster relief agencies and more. Today, the food bank provides food for more than 30,000 individuals each month. In 2013 alone, the Harry Chapin Food Bank distributed 17.5 million pounds of food, provided 14.6 million meals, and turned every $1 into $6 worth of food for those in need.”
For all events: http://www.harrychapinfoodbank.org/blog/category/events
For volunteer information: http://www.harrychapinfoodbank.org/donate/volunteer
Ask about volunteering at a mobile pantry (calendar coming soon). We’ve done it, and it’s an awesome experience! Just a couple of hours of your time, and it makes such a difference in our community!
The Shelter for Abused Women and Children
“Transforming lives, families, communities.
The Shelter’s vision is a community without domestic violence so that every home is a safe haven for the family it shelters.
The Shelter’s mission is to lead the community to prevent, protect, and prevail over domestic violence through advocacy, empowerment and social change”
Learn about the Shelter at: http://www.naplesshelter.org/
For volunteer information: https://www.naplesshelter.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer
Rebecca Thompson tells us they are also beginning their Back to School drive, and offer a really neat way for us to help out:
Adopt a Student
“Adopt a student and fill his or her back-to-school needs. You tell us how many students you would like to
“adopt,” and we will provide a basic back to school list, the age, and the gender of your student(s).”
Need more information? Please contact Rebecca Thompson at
email@example.com or 239-775-3862, ext. 235
Our ladies’ group, Dorcas Circle, is currently collecting ladies’ nightgowns and robes, sizes large and larger, as well as slippers, to donate to the Shelter. Please bring your contributions to Helen Carpenter.
Giving Kids is a community-based charity organization with branches in the Pikes Peak region of Colorado and the Southwest coastal region of Florida that goes into selected elementary schools and provides children from low-income families the opportunity to select Christmas gifts for their family members at no cost to the schools or participants. To learn more about Giving Kids, visit http://givingkids.weebly.com/
Giving Kids requests cash donations, as they order wholesale items, and stretch every penny! Every dollar donated goes directly to the gift program, as overhead is paid by the founders. It only takes $5 to sponsor one child to participate.
To donate: use the “Donate” button at http://fccnaples.org/ to donate by PayPal or credit/debit card, and note “Giving Kids” in the purpose line
FCC members and staff volunteered at events last Christmas season, and it was really fun! See the photos at: